Saturday, March 24, 2012

Ruthies Thrifty Homemade Laundry Soap


Source

Most people don't know this about me, but I grew up with two moms.  No I did not come from a polygamist family.  I had one mom and one dad, and then there was Ruthie my nanny/ mommy #2.

 She lived in our home and took care of us from the time my little sister was born, until we moved to Colorado.  This was about eight years.  I LOVE that Lady!!

Anyway, she wrote me today with a recipe that she uses to make her own laundry soap.  I have never done this,  but can't wait to try it out.   

Here is the recipe.   

*1/3 bar of soap of your choice,
1/2 cup of washing soda (Arm & Hammer) not baking soda,
1/2 cup borax

Grate soap into a sauce pan. add 6 cups of water and heat until soap melts. add the washing soda and borax ( can add a little more borax to make a thicker gel) stir until it dissolves. remove from heat, in a large bucket pour 4 cups hot water then add soap mixture and stir. now add 1 gal plus 6 cups of water and stir. let the soap mixture set for 24 hr. and it will gel. use 1/2 cup per load. you can use scents 1/2 to 1 oz. of essential oil or fragrance oils. this is a runny gel formula ( but you can thicken it with a little more borax.) this will equal 64 loads and save lots of money. double the recipe ( this will make a 5 gal. bucket).
heat 12 cups of water,1/ 2 to a full bar soap. 1 cup washing soda, and 1 cup of borax add to bucket along with 8 cups of hot water and two gallons water plus 12 cups. Saves you money, and only cost about 8 dollars to make a 5 gal bucket.  

That sounds pretty thrifty to me :)  But I wont be doing any laundry today; Im off to enjoy a wonderful free day at Six Flags with my family!!

Hopefully come Monday I will have my PB inspired wall mirrors done J


No comments:

Post a Comment