Thursday, April 26, 2012

Vegan Pizza


Last night my family decided they wanted pizza for dinner,
Pizza, which happens to be one of my favorite things to eat is not very vegan friendly.  Especially when you add all the good stuff. 
I have to admit I was NOT too thrilled to have such temptation around me, but because I'm not going to be one of those dieters who refuse to allow others to eat yummy food in front of them, I decided to look up vegan recipes on the Internet.  I came across two really great vegan blogs (even if youre not vegan you should check them out because they are both packed full of great nutritional information).
The blogs are Healthy Happy Life, and Oh She Glows.  I LOVE them both; I think they are both very informative, and inspirational. 
After looking at both of their choices for pizza I ultimately chose this one from Oh She Glows.  It's a Portobello mushroom loaded with veggies, pizza sauce, and vegan cheese.  At first glance I thought it was a stuffed potato.  Ha!!

I did change mine up a bit by not adding the vegan cheese (trying to be as natural as possible) adding fire roasted red pepper hummus instead, and not adding the sauce instead replacing it with thinly sliced tomatoes.  I also added red peppers, black beans, jalapeños, crushed red peppers, cayenne, and a little Italian seasoning. 

At first I was a bit skeptical about the taste, but once it came out of the oven and it browned up nicely like a pizza should, I was pretty excited to try it.  Turns out it was pretty delicious, not as delicious as a pizza with pepperoni and extra cheese, but definitely a good alternative for someone trying to eat healthier.  As for cost, the mushrooms cost $3 for two, the hummus was also $3 and the rest is stuff I buy on a daily basis.  So really the cost for one person was not too bad.  Still within my budget, and a lot healthier too.  Not to mention that there was enough for me to make one for lunch toady as well, so I got two meals out of it.  Not bad at all.

Something I have been searching forever to find is healthy vegan bread; does anyone know of a brand I could try??  I've thought about just giving up and making my own.. 
I don't know though,  defiantly something to think about. J




No comments:

Post a Comment